What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding adults is about preventing and responding to allegations of abuse, harm and neglect. We work with local people, our partners and adults who are at risk of harm so that people are:
- safe and able to protect themselves from abuse and neglect
- treated fairly and with dignity and respect
- protected when they need to be
- able to easily get the support, protection and services that they need
We always take into account your views, wishes, feelings and beliefs before deciding any action, with a focus on your wellbeing. We work with you to look at the outcome you want to see, such as actions which will help keep you safe.
We aim to:
- stop abuse or neglect, and reduce the risk of abuse or neglect to adults with care and support needs
- support adults to make choices and have control about how they want to live
- raise public awareness so that communities play a part in preventing and responding to abuse and neglect
- provide accessible information and support help people understand the types of abuse, how to stay safe and how to raise a concern
Enfield have a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) of professionals working together and sharing information, so we can provide a good quality and coordinated response to reports of abuse. For more information, see our MASH leaflet.
If you or someone you know is suffering from harm, abuse or exploitation, do not keep silent. Tell someone you trust or report abuse online.
It is better to prevent abuse from happening in the first place. There are a steps you can take to help reduce the risk of abuse, such as writing a will, having a circle of friends, and using new types of technology. We have five factsheets on different areas where we can help to prevent abuse and neglect.
- Making safeguarding about you
- Financial planning - preventing abuse and fraud
- Preventing abuse - keep yourself safe
- Safe recruitment of a personal assistant
- Safeguarding, technology and you
Further useful documents & links
- Concerned that you or someone you know is at risk of or experiencing adult abuse? Please do not keep silent.
- Ring the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub Monday to Friday on 020 8379 3196.
- Outside these hours please ring the Enfield Adult Abuse line on 020 8379 5212. You will be listened to and your concerns taken seriously.
For information about types of abuse, who may abuse and what happens if you report a concern, see our Say NO to Abuse leaflet