Finding someone to act on your behalf
POhWER is an advocacy charity who provide information, advice, support and advocacy to people who experience disability, vulnerability, distress and social exclusion. POhWER offers free, confidential and independent advocacy services to help people understand their rights, be heard and be treated as equals. POhWER's vision is to empower individuals to have a voice, make choices, enforce their rights and make a positive difference to their lives, and work with them to plan and deliver the services that matter to them. All of the services at POhWER are user-led, as advocates understand the importance of empowering their clients or service users. POhWER offers the following advocacy services in Enfield:
Independent Health Complaints Advocacy:
If you have problems with care and/or treatment provided by the National Health Service (NHS), the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service can support you to make a complaint about the service, care or treatment provided to you. The Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service are able to provide you with an experienced POhWER advocate, who can help you to make your complaint and support you through the process. The Independent Heath Complaints Advocacy Service can help you to make a complaint about a National Health Service (NHS), which covers all NHS funded treatment, this includes NHS hospitals, GP’s, Ambulance Services, District Nurses, Mental Health Services, Dentists, Pharmacists or Opticians.
Our advocates will:
- give individuals an opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is independent of the NHS
- take time to listen to the individuals experience
- talk with the individual about what support that they need to make their complaint
- give them information about the different ways that they can raise their concerns
- help them to think about what they would like to achieve from their complaint
- help with writing letters of complaint
- attend meetings with them to support them with their complaintPeople want different outcomes when they complain which can include an apology, feeling listened to, an explanation or an improvement to NHS services. POhWER does not encourage complaints but helps to manage expectations, and support individuals to be aware of their options, in order to reach a realistic outcome where possible.
Independent Mental Health Advocacy:
POhWER also provides an Independent Mental Health Advocacy Service for people who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. POhWER’s Independent Mental Health Advocacy Service can help you to understand your situation and provide you with options to access relevant support, as well as supporting you to understand the choices that you have. You can use the Independent Mental Health Advocacy Service if you are currently being detained under certain sections of the Mental Health Act, are subject to Guardianship or a Community Treatment Order, or are considering certain treatments which have been suggested to you. A POhWER advocate can support you to explain what is happening to you and your rights and help prepare and support you at meetings, including appeals, ward rounds, Care Plan Approach meetings (CPA) and tribunals. A POhWER advocate can also help you to communicate with staff, and help you to access your medical and local authority records.
How to contact POhWER:
Helpline: 0300 456 2370
Text: Send the word ‘pohwer’ and then your name and number to 81025