We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Community based charges

Charges for people living at home

Social care services help you remain living independently in your own home. These include home care and personal support, night sitting services, telecare equipment, alarms, day care centres and lunch clubs.

For full details on

  • what our community care charges are
  • about Personal Budgets and how you can use your Personal Budget
  • how we work out how much you need to pay and how much the Council can contribute to your Personal Budget
  • what help is available if you are not eligible for a Personal Budget
  • what happens if you do not want a financial assessment?
  • what to do if you disagree with how much you are asked to pay?
  • how to pay for your services
  • what happens if you do not pay?

Please read the following booklet - Charging booklet (Living at Home).

In addition, please also refer to the Disability Related Expenditure (DRE) factsheet for information on how we need to consider money that you have to spend on things because of your disability, that you would not have to spend otherwise. We will use this information as part of the financial assessment, to work out how much you can reasonably afford to pay for chargeable services.

Minimum income guarantee is also taking into consideration. To read more on this, click on the Minimum income guarantee heading below.

Useful policies:

Minimum income guarantee (MIG)

Local Authorities must ensure that a person maintains a certain level of income after their contribution has been deducted. This is your MIG. This is so you have money available to pay for essential daily living expense such as food, utilities and priority expenses. Please refer to the Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG) factsheet for more information.  

Direct payments

After care and support assessments have been carried out, we will agree a personal budget, which is an amount of money reasonable to meet your outcomes. You can take some or all this as a direct payment, so that you can arrange your own care and support. In some cases, we may arrange and pay for your services directly.

Direct payments are for buying services and equipment to meet the outcomes in your assessment. There is flexibility about how you can use the money, as long as it meets the outcomes in your support plan.

Direct payments are for anyone over 16 who has been assessed as eligible for services or equipment. You cannot receive direct payments if you are:

  • receiving treatment for mental health, alcohol and substance misuse, and under assessment or treatment orders
  • subject to certain criminal justice orders

Direct payments are also for carers over 18, including people with parental responsibility for a disabled child. They cannot be used to purchase services directly provided by us, such as day centres, however you may choose to use your payment to employ your own staff. For help and advice on employing your owns staff see our employer support guide.

You will receive your payment through an Enfield E-Card, which is secure and does not require a bank account as we will load your money onto the card instead. You can then pay for services using your card in person, over the phone, by transfer, or online. You will get a monthly statement showing all payments.

Your financial assessment will tell you whether you will need to pay toward your care and support. If you do, this will be deducted from the money we pay. You are responsible for managing the way the money is spent, keeping records, organising the services and care, and arranging for emergencies.

For more information, please read our FAQs or contact your social worker or care co-ordinator. If you do not have a social worker or care co-ordinator, email our team.

Useful links:

Enfield E-card

The Enfield E-card is a chip and PIN Visa card which does not need a bank account. We will make all the arrangements for issuing your card and the money from your personal budget or direct payment will be loaded onto it. E-card holders can use their card to pay for support the same way as using a debit card.

The Enfield E-card is available to anyone who is provided with a personal budget or a direct payment to pay for their care and support. The E-card can be used to pay for services face to face, by telephone or on the internet. If someone helps you to look after your money, we can arrange for a second card to be issued so they can arrange payments on your behalf.

You will get a monthly statement showing all payments made using the E-card. If you have internet access, you can check your statement online.

If it is identified and agreed in your support plan, you will be able to withdraw cash from a cashpoint. This might be because the organisation you are paying does not accept card payments.

If you are interested in having the Enfield E-card, discuss this with your care manager or social worker. You can also email the team or contact them on 020 8379 8009.

For more information, view our Enfield E-Card factsheet

Coronavirus and direct payments

Making a payment for LBE charged care services

You will be informed of any charges that you may need to pay in full or contribute to depending on the results of your financial assessment.

Here is an example of an invoice we will send and methods of how to pay.

If trying to make a payment online, please visits www.enfield.gov.uk

Wanting to set up a Direct Debit?- Please complete the Direct Debit mandate form

Annual bill update 2021-2022

Community Charges annual bill 

Community based care, we are aware there have been delays in these being sent out. Your invoices will be sent out in the next few days please leave sufficient funds in your bank account and we will collect them on 20th July. If you do not have sufficient funds for your bills to be collected please call 0208 379 3521 or send an email to ascincomecollection@enfield.gov.uk before July 15th.



Back to top