Over 50’s Activity Club - EAWA
Activity Club for Over 50's. EAWA Run community Health and Fitness sessions at Wheatsheaf Hall. This sessions are drop in session and open to all in the community.
Current Thursday sessions include:
- Yoga Chair Exercises Classes
- Qi Gong and/or Tai Chi - Delivered by The Shane Project
Tottenham Hotspur Foundation are working with EAWA to deliver weekly seat based sporting activities. The sessions included a variety of seated sports such as Boccia, New Age Kurling, Tri Golf as well as games involving skills from Football and Basketball in a fully inclusive and fun environment.
Yoga has been shown to improve overall health when practiced regularly. As with many forms of exercise, it can be modified for people of varying abilities. Chair yoga is a gentle form of yoga that can be done sitting on a chair or standing on the ground while using the chair for support. It is beneficial for people with limited mobility and for those who want to practice yoga at their workplace. The benefits of practicing these chair yoga poses (called asanas) include:
- Improved flexibility. Flexibility allows us to do the activities we need and love to do, from twisting while driving to bending over to play with children.
- Better concentration. Incorporating breath work with the poses can help clear your brain of unwanted thoughts, improve mood and decrease stress.
- Increased strength. Body strength enables us to withstand falls and injury and helps us with balance
- Reduced joint strain. Chair yoga reduces the strain on joints and muscles, which allows someone who is unable to stand for traditional yoga an opportunity to practice too.
- Portability and convenience. You can do chair yoga nearly anywhere you can find a place to sit.
The page was last updated on 30 September 2019